Over the weekend, I had a look at some year to date domain name sales statistics – courtesy of Ron Jackson at DN Journal.
Whilst I realise that there is a HUGE difference between dot com (total registrations approximately 127 million) and dot com.au (total registrations approximately 2.7 million) – the fact remains that in Australia, dot com.au is king. When I look at the list below, it’s apparent to me that our domain names are very cheap by comparison.
Here’s the “Top Ten” as at 21 August – prices are in $USD.
- .com is king when it comes to high sales prices!
- Cumulative sales total of the top ten domains is $USD7,594,000 – with an average sales price of $USD759,400.
- Great to see a ccTLD (country code Top Level Domain) crack the top 10 – Furniture.co.uk. The Australian equivalent of Furniture.com.au is registered to Freedom Furniture.
- 2 Letter domains are worth their weight in Platinum – 3 Letter domains in Gold!
- I have the domain Jade.com.au – since acquiring it, I have received in excess of ten offers for it (unfortunately none have appealed as yet!).
The Next 10
- Cumulative sales total of these next ten domains is $USD2,389,324 – with an average sales price of $USD238,932.
- Another two 3 Letter domains are in the list – interesting to see who purchased them, and for what purpose. BGA.com and ADA.com .
A Final Observation
For those not aware, auDA, in their wisdom, have decided that the time is right to “grow our market”. This is despite there only being a total of 3,039,000 Aussie domains as at July 2016! How many dot coms are there again? About 127,000,000.
I wonder how the value of Australian domain names will be affected if and when direct registrations are introduced?
Ned O’Meara – 29th August 2016